A former blogoholic I have stopped the blog for now. I need to focus on teaching and living my life with my best Boo and pup! See you around the cybersphere!

20 July 2006

Letter to my City Councilman - Anti-gay shows on DC Cable Access Television

(I watched a HATEFUL program on cable access. It was GARBAGE. Before you roll your eyes and tell me that it doesn't matter, please read my letter to Jim Graham. I urge you to write or call your DC councilmember. Public TV shouldn't be a forum for bigoted views. It has no place in decent society. If you want more info please comment and I will get in touch with you via email. Yes I'm serious.)
This is my email to my councilman, Jim Graham, a really good man and city council member. I will also be sending it to David Catania, Carol Schwartz, mayoral candidates, the Washington Post and DCTV.)

Dear Councilman Graham,

As always I thank you for serving and for standing up for the rights of GLBT Washingtonians. I am one of your Ward One constituents and a proud caucasian gay man.

Tonight I am watching a disgusting program on DCTV (Channel 10 on RCN cable - Thursday 7/20/06 at 9:30 and 10:00pm) entitled "Clear Your Mind - The Lowdown on the Downlow Brother." I am shocked that this type of program can appear on DC Cable Access, which I believe receives public funding of some sort.

This program is nothing short of hate speech against gay African-American men and gay men in general. It is two African-American women and one African-American man having a "gossip" style show about the ills of homosexual men and their "unhealthy acts." The usual topics of "ungodly behavior" or that gay men are such by "mental defect" is ever present. I cannot begin to tell you how insulting, disgusting and defamatory this program is. It is nothing but trash, stereotype and slander and has no redeeming quality whatsoever.

I realize that Cable Access shows can be of varying quality. However the inflammatory, bigoted and prejudicial remarks and views presented have NO place on a publically funded channel. I literally cannot believe my eyes. These programs reinforce the anti-gay sentiments which have caused hate crimes of the worst type in this city. It seeks to undo all the good work of our community.

Councilman Graham, I regard you both as an influencial and respected memebr of the city council and as one of the city's most upstanding and influencial gay male citizens. I urge you to investigate shows of this nature and to pull them from circulation. I daresay that if the show displayed the same bigoted views about African Americans, Jews, Christians or any other group, they would not be allowed to air.

I know that the crime emergency (which is also extremely disturbing) is and should be the highest priority. However I ask you to please put a stop to this. I thank you so much for your continued support and hardwork in our community.

Should you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime at XXXXXXXX or via email at XXXXXXXX. Thank you very much.

Best regards,


TOS
----Update----
Jim Graham, my Ward 1 councilmember responded this morning and asked one of his staffers to get a copy of the program for him to review. :-) Babysteps...

4 Comments:

Blogger jeremy said...

Here in Seattle, we have programs on Public Access which condemn Jews, Blacks, and gays. We also have a guy who shows clips from pornos and smokes a lot of dope.
Community access cable channels, in general, grew out of a desire for individual expression and freedom of speech. People were tired of being force-fed commercials and views divergent of their own. As much as I might disagree with some people's points of view, I realize that they have a right to express that view. Then, keep in mind that *few* people actually watch public access. And if someone does actually catch one of these shows, they, most likely, will have the same view of it that you do.
I don't want to start yelling, slippery slope, but censure leads to censure.

3:15 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well written letter!

I know you said you were going to contact DCTV...is that the same as the DC agency Office of Cable Television and Telecommunications?

If not you should also contact them.


http://octt.dc.gov/main.shtm

9:22 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tos - get off the soap box girl! Why the hell are you watching this? Hex was on the BBC and you could have always watched a re-run of project runway. Jeremy does have a point. I don't like seeing it but they have every right to voice thier opinions as we have. I am certain they don't want to see bare breasted lesbians marching down 14th st.

There is ignorance everywhere and we have to live wiht it. You have the choice to turn the channel.

BTW's what are we doing tonight?

9:26 a.m.

 
Blogger TOS said...

Topher - I beg to disagree. I'm not for censorship but I am against public funds being misused.

This is a very clear distinction in the free speech issue. If they want to go out and pay for a show on network tv then fine - but using public funds for this type of programming is a different thing and in fact violates the purposes of the station on their website...

Jeremy - I agree this can be a slippery slope but I think it can slip the other way when public funds are involved... if Congress can mandate how the NEA funds art exhibits then it should work the same way when slander is involved.

Point well taken though - nobody watches public access but some people must... I did.

11:10 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home